Thursday, May 31, 2012

Getting Engaged is the New Black


Relationships > I have had 4 friends become engaged in the last week. Everything happens quicker these days, including receiving the news. My Facebook feed looked more like an ad for Robbin's Brothers than a social network. My reaction goes a little like this, "Aww!", "Innnnteresting...", "Will it last?", "How long till my turn?". I think that's a pretty normal reaction for a girl in her late 20's to have when everyone and their cat seems to be taking the plunge. But I have to say although I get a small twinge of wedding bliss jealousy, I know that I am no where near ready for it and dare I say, even wanting it.

The divorce rate in California for the year 2011 was 75%. The majority of those are between 40-60 years of age. Our parents. So the people around us and the people we look up to cannot seem to make the promise of "till death do us part" and follow through with it. No matter how strong and self driven we may think we are, aren't all major decisions in life slightly influenced or supported by the examples we have in our lives? When standing on the corner of hopeless romantic and despairing of love, which way do you go? And furthermore, without an affirming example how do you know what is right? Can our generation become one of taking risks, exploring love and marriage based off not what we learned from our parents and those around us but instead taking love back into our own hands. With everything around us moving so fast and easy, love is the one thing we should reclaim. It is the one thing we should focus all of our energy into, to nurture it and make sure that is once again meaningful and not some temporary fleeting promise. Maybe we can do just that..

To my friends and anyone else falling in love and taking that step toward marriage, 
Congratulations and tons of LOVE to you

No comments:

Post a Comment